With the Food Wine Conference coming up in just a few short days, where I will be connecting with new foodie friends, I thought today would be a good time to get a little more personal on the blog. Here are 10 things you may not know about me.
- I was born and raised in a small town of 18,000 people in central Wisconsin. To me, growing up in small town Wisconsin was perfection. The summer heat was just right, the cheese factory (cheese curds are life!) was just a short drive away, and everyone was so friendly. After high school, I left my sleepy little town for Orlando and have lived here ever since.
- I’ve enjoyed writing since I was a child and have been blogging since the days of Xanga and Blogspot. The last few years is when I found my niche in food blogging and have only recently (since the launch of Authentically Candace last Fall) added in lifestyle and travel. Blogging is my favorite creative outlet and I enjoy creating new recipes and photographing the end result for the blog.
- Growing up, I hated cooking and would always find an excuse to not help my Mom make dinner. It wasn’t until the last 7-8 years that I learned to enjoy it and have found it really helps me calm down when I’m stressed.
- I met the love of my life, Chris, on an online dating site. We connected instantly and share a love of pizza, tacos and the beach. We’ve been together for 4 years, engaged in February and I’m so excited to be planning our wedding that will be taking place next September. Don’t worry, this won’t be turning into a wedding blog, but I may throw a few posts up!
- Titanic and Dirty Dancing are my absolute favorite movies. I even have them saved to on-demand so I can watch them forever. I think I’ve seen each movie at least 30 times. I don’t watch too much TV but my favorite shows are Below Deck, Master Chef and anything on the Food Network.
- My favorite foods are cheeseburgers (plain with cheese and/or bacon only), creme brulee, and anything breakfast. Brunch is my favorite meal of the day and I often look forward to Sundays for this single reason.
- I am an “almost” cancer survivor. After living with grade 1 uterine cancer since November of last year, I am happy to say that my latest D & C Hysteroscopy revealed that I now only have pre-cancer cells. The medicine my oncologist put me on worked wonders even though the success rate with this particular medicine was not very high. I believe my tumor shrunk with the help of that plus lots of prayers and good vibes from friends and family. I’m still on the same medication for a few months and will have to periodically see my doctor for the next 5 years to make sure the cancer is completely gone. You can read more about my cancer journey here and here.
- I love traveling, usually in the form of a cruise since it is mostly all-inclusive and fairly affordable. I’ve been on 4 so far throughout the Caribbean and to Mexico and just booked my next one back to the Bahamas for my birthday later this year. I do want to take bigger and longer trips one day to other parts of the world, such as to Africa.
- The ocean or any body of water really is a place of serenity for me. Any chance I get, I try to escape to the beach. It lets me forget about any of my problems in life for awhile.
- I have two dogs, Kona, a Chorkie and Lucky, a Cairn Terrier. They’re both rescues and the second and third loves of my life. I follow some rescue groups and shelters on Facebook and it makes me so sad that I can’t rescue every single pup. If I had it my way, I would have a huge piece of land and spend my days rescuing pups.
So now that you know a little more about me, tell me one interesting thing about you!