Hang out with me long enough and you will learn my love for anything Mexican is strong. Tacos (#TacoTuesday), chips n’ salsa, high quality tequila…I love it all. The first time I visited Mexico in the Spring last year, I fell head over heels in love with the country that I ended up going back again in the Fall with my fiance because I wanted him to experience the wonderful food, culture and people. I’m definitely looking forward to heading back there again in the future!
With Cinco de Mayo coming up, I decided to create a refreshing “mocktail” to celebrate the colorful holiday. This drink blends juicy strawberries and pineapple with lime juice, honey and water to create a drink anyone- even the kids, can enjoy. It’s especially tasty on a hot summer day!
An agua fresca is a light, non-alcoholic drink served by street vendors, in bodegas and at eateries throughout Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean, as well as Mexican cafés and taquerias around the U.S. They are made by combining fresh fruits with sugar or another sweetener and water. The best thing about the agua fresca is that you can use any combination of fruit you have at home.
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, my fellow Sunday Supper Taste Makers have created some yummy Mexican-inspired dishes and drinks. Be sure to click through to check them out!
- 3 cups pineapple chunks
- 1½ cup fresh strawberries (or more if you like a strong strawberry flavor)
- 2½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey or Agave nectar (I used honey as that is what I had on hand)
- juice of 1 lime
- Add pineapple, strawberries, 1 cup of water, agave nectar, and lime juice to blender.
- Pour juice through a small strainer into a pitcher to remove any large chunks of fruit.
- Add the remaining 1½ cups of water to the pitcher. Stir to combine.
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.