Down here in sunny Florida, we are right in the middle of strawberry season and I am savoring every moment of it. These juicy berries are especially special during the Winter months from November to April, adding a pop of color to wintery dishes. I truly love experimenting with strawberries, creating sweet + savory recipes like my strawberry caprese salad with balsamic and mint.
Did you know that a serving (8 berries) of strawberries have more Vitamin C than an orange? I love citrus fruits, but I am partial to strawberries because enjoying them means just washing and biting into them. Easy peasy! They even taste best at room temperature. Betcha didn’t know that! These little berries pack quite a health punch, helping to reduce the risk of cancer and other ailments. They’re also fat-free and have no cholesterol, making them the perfect choice for those health and fitness #snackgoals.
After the deluge of holiday treats I consumed during the month of December, my body was craving something healthy. Florida strawberries are versatile enough to create sweet and savory dishes and I tend to gravitate towards dishes that have both elements.
Enter my strawberry caprese salad with balsamic and mint. This dish hit all the right taste buds! It was a little sweet from the berries, a little savory/salty from the mozzarella and super refreshing from the mint. It came together quickly and was the perfect side dish for #SundaySupper one evening. My fellow Taste Makers have created some healthy dishes using fresh Florida strawberries. Be sure to scroll down and check them out!
- ¼ cup evoo
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 container of strawberries (about 1 pound, cut in quarters)
- 1 handful of basil, shredded
- 1 handful of mint, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces of mini mozzarella balls
- Mix together the evoo, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, whisking until smooth.
- Cut in half the cherry tomatoes, place in bowl, salt and pepper to taste.
- Quarter the strawberries.
- Add strawberries and mozzarella to a large bowl and add in cherry tomatoes.
- Add in basil and mint.
- Toss with balsamic dressing and serve immediately or refrigerate.
Florida Strawberry is currently running a fun contest and it’s easy to enter! All you need to do is snap a photo with Florida Strawberries, upload it, tag it with #FLStrawberryCap and share it across your social media channels. Everyone who submits a photo is sent a super adorable strawberry cap and is automatically entered to win the grand prize- a trip for four to the beautiful Trade Winds Islands Resorts in St. Pete Beach, Florida. For the official contest rules, click here.
If you’re located in Florida, you can find fresh Florida strawberries at your local Publix from now until April. Not located in the Southeast? Ask your local grocery store manager if they could start stocking Florida strawberries. Many grocery stores are open to bringing in new items to their store if asked.
- Balsamic & Brown Sugar Strawberry Canapés by My Sweet Zepol
- Fresh Mozzarella Strawberry Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Foccaccio by Healing Tomato
- Strawberry Avocado Crostini by Beauty and the Beets
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips by Meghan On The Move
- Feta and Strawberry Tabouleh Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic and Mint by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Panzanella Salad by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Strawberry Sauce by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pork Chops with Balsamic-Strawberry Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken by Katie’s Cucina
- Strawberry Pesto Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Family Around The Table
- Lightened-Up Strawberry Mille-Feuille by Girl Abroad
- Roasted Strawberry Pavlova with Lemon Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberries Romanoff by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Pound Cake Kabobs With Chocolate Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.