Hi friends! While people in other parts of the country are enjoying winter fruits such as cranberries and pomegranates, those in the Sunshine State, such as myself, are coming into Florida Strawberry season (which is my favorite fruit season)!
Did you know that juicy Florida Strawberries are readily available from November until April? 8,000 acres of strawberries are grown in Florida every year. This makes the Sunshine State the second largest grower of these sweet berries. They’re a healthy and portable treat that provide part of your daily dose of fiber, potassium and vitamin C. By eating 8 strawberries a day, you can reduce blood pressure and increase the health of your heart. They’re even a great pick to fight illnesses such as cancer.
Ya’ll are in for a real treat! I, along with my fellow #SundaySupper Taste Makers have come up with a sweet variety of #FLStrawberry recipes that are perfect to enjoy for the holidays. Be sure to scroll down and click through to check them all out!
My recipe delights all your taste buds. It’s a sweet, tart, peppery and super cheeeeeeeeesy grilled cheese! The flavors of juicy balsamic Florida strawberries, creamy brie and peppery basil meld together in perfect harmony.
Normally, grilled cheese sandwiches are considered a homey, comfort food, but you can kick it up a notch by popping open some bubbly (and perhaps topping the glasses with a Florida strawberry to make it extra special), inviting over all your guests and whipping up a batch of these bistro-style sandwiches for the perfect holiday lunch!
- 1 pound of strawberries, quartered
- 6-8 ounces of Brie cheese
- 3 tablespoons of basil chopped or torn into small pieces
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, gently mix together with a spoon the honey and balsamic vinegar.
- Fold quartered strawberries into the balsamic honey mixture.
- Spread strawberries on a sheet pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until berries are soft but not "mushey".
- Warm skillet or frying pan on medium heat.
- Butter outsides of bread.
- Place brie slices on one side of each sandwich followed by a spoonful of the balsamic berry mixture and a sprinkle of basil.
- Top each sandwich with a slice of buttered bread (butter goes on the outside of the slice).
- Cook each sandwich 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melty.
Have you seen the adorable strawberry cap on Facebook or Instagram lately? Who wants one? I know I do! Here is how to get yours:
Florida Strawberry is launching an awesome contest this holiday season and it’s easy to enter. All you need to do is snap a berry fabulous photo and submit it here or on social media starting on December 12, 2016. Be sure to tag it on each of your social media channels with #FLStrawberryCap to receive your strawberry cap (everyone who submits a photo with the #FLStrawberryCap hashtag receives one!). You will also be entered to win a trip to beautiful, sunshine-y Florida! This includes a stay at the TradeWinds Island Resort in St. Pete’s Beach, Florida, airfare, accommodations, and a tour of a strawberry farm in Plant City for up to 4 people. This contest ends on February 12, 2017.
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop – A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.